School Dining Hall conservation repairs

School Dining Hall

The Dining Hall at St John's School, Leatherhead is one of the most significant of the historic buildings on the site and is a focal point of the school. The Dining Hall is adjacent to the Grade II listed boarding houses and cloisters.

 

The core building was built in 1897 and in 1909 the stepped parapet was raised in the centre to include a clock face.  Later additions have been added to the east side and rear to provide additional kitchen facilities. The structure of the building is mass masonry in red brick with limestone dressings, with external buttresses supporting an open trussed timber roof structure.

Conservation works included: new cast iron hoppers and rainwater goods reinstated to original pattern; stained glass window repairs;  overhauling the copper flèche; new lighting installed internally and redecorations carried out throughout. 

 

Renewing rainwater hoppers
Renewing rainwater hoppers

Reinstating original patterns

press to zoom
Copper fleche
Copper fleche

Inspecting and overhauling

press to zoom
Dining Room interior
Dining Room interior

New lighting and redecoration

press to zoom