Extending the original Grade II school boarding house to create two boarding houses together with staff accommodation.
Substantial alterations and repairs to Clifton’’s original boarding house and headmaster’’s house constructed by Charles Hansom in 1861-2. The project involved inserting a new four storey steel-frame building into the courtyard of the boarding house, effectively doubling its capacity.
The design removed a 1980s extension and inserted a new 'T' shaped extension into the courtyard and making use of the space between the building and the adjoining school hall. Stairwells at either end of the courtyard bring light from the glass roof all the way down to the basement. By lowering the ground levels around the outside of the building the basement rooms were made habitable and a further low level extension was added on the road side of the building.
Project carried out at Marcus Beale Architects
Photos by Marcus Peel
The light weight steel and timber extension sits gently between the heavy buildings of the School House and the School Hall.
The new lead roof becomes a glazed roof over the courtyard allowing light to flood down the staircases.
The steel 'trees' are most visible in the staircases where the grill walkways allow unusual views of the original building.