Holy Trinity Clapham
Extending the Grade II Listed Church, to create new worship and meeting spaces for the church and wider community.
Holy Trinity Clapham is a Grade II* listed building, in a Conservation Area in the London Borough of Lambeth. It is important in national and world history as the church of the Clapham Sect, led by William Wilberforce, who secured the passing of the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 abolishing slavery in most of the British Empire.
The existing church stands in splendid isolation and the proposed extension to the east is designed to extend a welcome to the town where currently it presents a very closed facade. The stone clad structure of the extension is visually separated from the existing church by a glazed ‘‘ambulatory’’ space and is designed to read as a sculptural form rising out of the ground but also as a new plinth to the East elevation.